Wednesday 13 March 2013

Instead of recognizing the differences between yourself and others, try to recognize what you have in common.

At the root of it all, we are all human beings. We need food, and shelter, and love. We crave attention, and recognition, and affection, and above all, happiness. Reflect on these commonalities you have with every other human being, and ignore the differences. One of my favorite exercises comes from a great article from Ode Magazine — it’s a five-step exercise to try when you meet friends and strangers. Do it discreetly and try to do all the steps with the same person. With your attention geared to the other person, tell yourself:

  1. Step 1: “Just like me, this person is seeking happiness in his/her life.”
  2. Step 2: “Just like me, this person is trying to avoid suffering in his/her life.”
  3. Step 3: “Just like me, this person has known sadness, loneliness and despair.”
  4. Step 4: “Just like me, this person is seeking to fill his/her needs.”
  5. Step 5: “Just like me, this person is learning about life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment