Tuesday 12 March 2013

detox from spiritual burnout:

1. Fast from doing things out of obligation. Feast on doing things out of love.

This is a big one for me. Sorta comes with the territory being the oldest child with a single parent upbringing. What little we do out of love outweighs the big things we might attempt without it.

“Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.” Romans 13:8

2. Unplug from saying “yes”, when I really should say “I’m sorry. I’m gonna have to pass. Thank you!” Smile. Breathe. Change the subject and talk about the weather.

“But let your statement be, `Yes, yes’ or `No, no’; anything beyond these is of evil.” Matthew 5:37

3. Opt to spend time with just a few friends over big group social activities.

Jesus was around crowds a lot, but He always made sure to spend time with a few of his peeps: Mary, Martha, and Lazarus. And don’t forget about Peter, John, and James.

“A man of {too many} friends {comes} to ruin, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” Proverbs 18:24

4. Enjoy alone activities that feed your soul.

Whenever I take the time to be alone, it feels like a soothing breeze that blows through the house on a quiet day. Whether it’s reading, taking a nature walk or just sitting on a park bench with a cup of java, it’s all good.

God is the one “who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy”. 1 Timothy 6:17

5. Is this productive or fruitful activity? I choose fruitfulness.

Sure, I can do it, and the results might look great. But, what spiritual fruit would I be planting seeds for?

“I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit –fruit that will last.” John 15:16

6. Make loving Jesus the only priority.

This is my ultimate litmus test whenever I consider adding or taking something off my plate.

Does X help me love Jesus more or does it diminish my energy or desire to do so?

I don’t care how spiritual the wrapping an activity or endeavor might look. If it minimizes my love relationship with God, then it’s not for me.

“I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:14


No comments:

Post a Comment